Czech Investors Pick Bones With Senator Chie, Liberian Judiciary

63

Two Czech Republic investors who are pressing a US$5 million criminal case against the Secretary of the Liberian Senate, Nanborlor Singbeh and several other co-defendants, have broken silence for the first time, since  2020, when their case appeared before the Criminal Court ‘C’ at the Temple Justice in Monrovia..  Martin Miloschewsky and Pavel Miloschewsky said they are frustrated and disappointed about the Liberian judiciary’s handling of their US$5 million case against Singbeh and others. The investors have also claimed what they called the manipulations of US sanctioned Albert Chie, President Pro-Tempore of the Senate, whom  they have accused of  protecting Singbeh from being prosecuted by the Judiciary. Singbeh’s case has reportedly been lingering before the Criminal Court ‘C’ with the interference of several senior government officials to include the Senate Pro- Tempore  Chie and  former Solicitor General  Saymah Syrenius Cephus.

 In a WhatsApp message dated Wednesday, January13 to their Attorney-In-Fact, British national, Hans Armstrong, the Miloschewsky brothers said, “Absolutely there is no justice in Liberia, and even the lack of justice in Liberia is confirmed by several  US Department of State human rights report.”  It can be recalled that Magistrate Victoria Worlobah Duncan of the Kakata Magisterial Court in Margibi County issued an arrest order on Tuesday, September 10, 2019, where Singbeh and Karel Schor, a Czech Republic national were accused of illegal sale of heavy-duty earth-moving equipment (caterpillars) and heavy-duty trucks worth about US$650,000.  The pieces equipment were parts of several other mining equipment shipped by the Miloschewsky brothers to Singbeh who was their partner and 30 percent shareholders in the Czech Republic owned mining company, the MHM Eko Liberia. The investors hold the remaining 70 percent share, each with 35percent. Magistrate Duncan then instructed her court sheriff and some officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP) to accompany the sheriff to arrest Singbeh, who had reportedly refused to honor the court’s numerous invitations to answer to the accusation. Surprisingly, Senator Chie, according to Magistrate Duncan, prevented Singbeh’s arrest and only managed to write the Magistrate on the back of his call card with an excuse. A copy of Senator Chie’s written comment on the call card on September 12 reads: “Your Honor, Victoria Worlobah Duncan, I confirm that the Secretary of the Senate has been served the writ and will appear. The Miloschewsky brothers claimed that in 2013, up to and including 2016, they transferred the total US$5 million that is in both cash and mining equipment to Singbeh for investment purposes, and to establish a Czech Republic owned mining company the MHM Eko Liberia. Unfortunately, according to them, the money and mining equipment was received by Singbeh who, with his (Singbeh’s) co-defendants including Ecobank and Afriland First Bank, siphoned the money, with Singbeh selling the mining equipment, which they are demanding the prosecution of Singbeh and several other co-defendants.

Recently, the U.S. Department of State  issued more sanctions affecting Samuel Tweah, Minister of Finance and Development Planning, and Senators Albert Chie and Emmanuel Nuquay, for their alleged involvement in corruption. The sanctions are being imposed under Section 7031(c) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2023, highlighting the U.S. commitment to combating corruption on a global scale. The sanctions come as a response to allegations that Tweah, Chie, and Nuquay allegedly abused their public positions by soliciting, accepting, and offering bribes to manipulate legislative processes and public funding, including activities in the mining sector. The immediate family members of the designated individuals, including spouses Delecia Berry Tweah, Abigail Chie, and Ruthtoria Brown Nuquay, as well as Tweah and Nuquay’s minor children, are also included in the sanctions.

Comments are closed.