Contradictions:

How Much Is It Worth . . . $370M or $317M?

‘Forensic tests had confirmed the substance was cocaine, with an estimated street value of more than US$370 million, about (£220 million).’

-IG Gregory W. Coleman in an interview with the BBC

‘During the operation, investigators recovered approximately 3,971 kilograms of processed plates of suspected cocaine, with an estimated street value of approximately US$317,680,000.’

-Justice Minister Tweah in a statement

 

A huge quantity of cocaine which was seized on Tuesday, July 21, during a raid on a suspected illegal storage facility in Douazon, outside Monrovia, had been valued at US$379 million.

Authorities say, Tuesday’s drug bust has remained the largest in the country’s history.

In the videos and photos released, police showed dozens of sealed suitcases and boxes inside a lorry that investigators believed contained the high-grade cocaine.

Police Inspector General, Gregory W. Coleman, told the BBC that forensic tests had confirmed the substance was cocaine, with an estimated street value of more than US$370 million, about (£220 million).

Coleman confirmed the arrest of several people during Tuesday’s raid in Douazon, a town about 20km (12 miles) east of Monrovia, including two foreigners and several Liberians.

Up to press time late last night, no formal charges have yet been announced for those arrested.

But Coleman said, the seizure on Tuesday was the result of a long-running investigation into suspected drug-trafficking networks operating in the country.

“Between 2018, and 2023, apparently there was a resurface of major trafficking and transiting in Liberia. Over the last one-and-a-half years, we’ve been surveilling them and this is the result of that operation,” said Coleman.

He said, the drugs were “tested and confirmed” to be cocaine. It was “largest drugs bust” in Liberia in recent years, he added.

Notwithstanding, Coleman’s interview with the BBC seems to contradict a statement released by Justice Minister Tweah that estimates the price of the bust to be US$317.6M; “During the operation, investigators recovered approximately 3,971 kilograms of processed plates of suspected cocaine, with an estimated street value of approximately US$317,680,000.”

Pundits are wondering if there is a loggerhead in the joint security apparatus that would cause the IG and Justice Minister to give contradicting statements that may hamper the quality of the investigation.

It is still unclear from where the drugs originated, or their intended destination.

But Coleman told the BBC that the police had been investigating that when the two foreigners subsequently arrived in the country and were arrested.

He confirmed that one of them was carrying two passports; a Spanish one, and a Colombian one, while the other held a Serbian passport.

Meanwhile, Vice-President Jeremiah Koung, has praised the security forces for the operation.

Koung assured the public that “whosoever was found culpable would feel the full weight of the law, regardless of who you are?”

The Duazon operation follows the interception of six cargo boxes at the airport last month after security officers detected irregularities during screening.

The shipment, falsely declared as containing food seasoning and textiles, was found to contain nearly 200 compressed blocks of cocaine destined for export, according to investigators.

The airport seizure sparked political controversy after critics accused the authorities of moving too slowly to identify suspects, raising concerns that some people linked to the case had left the country before arrests could be made.

However, President Joseph Nyuma Boakai has subsequently ordered a joint investigation involving police and the LDEA.

Several suspects have since been charged and international arrest warrants are being pursued for others still “at large.”

West Africa has long been regarded by international law enforcement agencies as a key transit route for cocaine trafficked from South America to Europe, taking advantage of porous borders and weak enforcement in parts of the region.

According to the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, at least 30 percent of cocaine destined for Europe now passes through the region, while local cocaine consumption, including crack cocaine, has also been rising.

The organization says, cocaine seizures in West Africa have increased steadily since 2019, reaching about 30 tons in 2025.

UN Warning

The UN has also warned about the growing threat posed by drug-trafficking networks in the region, saying: “The increasingly sophisticated operations launched by drug cartels are an issue of great concerns.”

Liberia has experienced several high-profile drug seizures in recent years, including a 520kg cocaine haul intercepted at the seaport in 2022.

Since taking office in 2024, Pres. Boakai has reshuffled the leadership of LDEA several times, as his government faces growing pressure to tackle the problem.

Source: BBC

 

STATEMENT BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND MINISTER OF JUSTICE OF THE REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA ON THE SEIZURE OF COCAINE AT DUAZON, RIA HIGHWAY, MARGIBI COUNTY

JULY 22, 2026

Fellow Liberians, good evening.

The Joint National Security Investigative Task Force take this opportunity to inform the public of a major development in the ongoing investigation into suspected transnational narcotics trafficking activities in Liberia.

On Monday, July 20, 2026, the Joint National Security Investigative Task Force, acting on information developed during the ongoing investigation, arrested and detained several persons of interest for questioning in furtherance of the investigation.

Information obtained through continued investigative and intelligence efforts subsequently led authorities to a location in the VOA Community along the Roberts International Airport Highway in Duazon, Margibi County.

On Tuesday, July 21, 2026, at approximately 9:00 a.m., a team comprising members of the Joint National Security Investigative Task Force conducted a search of the identified premises pursuant to a duly authorized search-and-seizure warrant.

During the operation, investigators recovered approximately 3,971 kilograms of processed plates of suspected cocaine, with an estimated street value of approximately US$317,680,000. The substances were seized and secured as evidence for further investigation and appropriate scientific examination.

Two foreign nationals, identified as a Serbian national and the other with dual nationality (Colombian and Spanish), were taken into custody in connection with the seizure and are assisting investigators with the ongoing investigation. Their names are being withheld at this stage to protect the integrity of the investigation and ongoing investigative activities.

In addition to the suspected narcotics, investigators recovered several items considered relevant to the investigation, including diving suits, a firearm, GPS tracking devices, a drone, Starlink satellite internet equipment, and other materials. These items have been secured and are being examined to determine their purpose and potential connection to the suspected narcotics trafficking operation.

The investigation remains active and is examining the origin, ownership, transportation method, and intended destination of the seized substances, as well as the identities and roles of all persons who may be connected to the operation. Investigators are also examining possible domestic and international networks, logistical arrangements, financial transactions, and any other forms of facilitation associated with the suspected shipment.

The investigation has generated significant evidentiary leads and has indeed revealed an organized, sophisticated, complex and well-funded narcotics trafficking network. It has also revealed that this network may have been operating in Liberia for a considerate period – more than six (6) years.

Given the quantity involved and the circumstances surrounding the seizure, the Joint National Security Investigative Task Force is pursuing all available investigative leads to determine the full scope of this illicit narcotic operation. Cooperation with relevant national and international law-enforcement partners will be pursued where necessary to identify additional persons, networks or jurisdictions connected to the investigation. We thank them for their continuous collaboration and support.

As the premises in Duazon was used in the commission of offenses under the Amended Controlled Drug and Substance Act of 2023, it will be confiscated and forfeited in favor of the Government of Liberia, as provided for under said Act. The vehicle which was used to transport the drugs will also be confiscated and forfeited in favor of the Government of Liberia, as provided for under said Act. The Joint National Security Investigative Task Force has also been instructed to take similar actions against the residence of Mr. Paul King, located at V.P. Road, where the drugs seized on June 8, 2026, were stored, picked up from and transported to RIA.

We want to caution the public against speculation regarding the identities or culpability of individuals who have not been formally charged. Persons currently being questioned or investigated are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in accordance with law. Their arrest and detention as persons of interest does not constitute a finding of criminal responsibility. Information will be released only when it can be verified and when disclosure will not compromise ongoing investigative activities or future prosecution.

The Government of Liberia remains resolute in its determination to prevent Liberia from being used as a transit corridor, storage location or operational base for illicit narcotics trafficking and transnational organized crime. Any individual, regardless of nationality, position or status, against whom credible and admissible evidence is established will be held accountable in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Liberia.

We assure the public that no individual, regardless of status, influence or affiliation will be shielded from accountability where the evidence establishes criminal responsibility.

The Joint National Security Investigative Team assures the public that the seized substances and other pieces of evidence are being maintained under established evidence-management and chain-of-custody procedures. Further information regarding laboratory findings, formal charges and additional arrests will be released as the investigation progresses and when legally appropriate.

As investigations continue, we call upon all Liberians to allow the justice system to perform its constitutional mandate without interference, speculation, or prejudice. The public is encouraged to remain calm, avoid circulating unverified information, and cooperate with law-enforcement authorities.

This matter should be of concern to every citizen because narcotic trafficking is a serious threat to society and national security. It corrodes institutions, corrupts public systems and destroys our youth. Therefore, each citizen should start to look around his/her community and workplace and conducting life style audits of their relatives, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, etc., and questioning the source of their wealth, that is enabling them to live above their incomes. Anyone with credible information that may assist the investigation is encouraged to provide such information through the appropriate security authorities. Measures are in place to ensure that witnesses can provide information without fear of intimidation, retaliation, or interference and the public informed accordingly.

In closing the Ministry of Justice remains unwavering in its constitutional duty to uphold the rule of law without fear, favor or pressure. Justice is not measured by the speed of the investigation, but by rigor of lawful investigations, the quality of admissible evidence and the integrity of prosecutions that can withstand judicial scrutiny.

The Joint National Security Investigative Team will provide further updates as material and verified developments become available.

I thank you.

Comments are closed.